Local action plan - North Ayrshire
In North Ayrshire there has been a part -time Choose Life Implementation Manager (Sarah Watts) and Admin Support Worker (Ellen Milne) since 2004, based in North Ayrshire Council Social Services.
Key themes for projects in North Ayrshire have included:
- Coordination of suicide prevention activities: for example, Choose Life Manager and admin support employed via the Multi - agency Steering Group. Post continues over the life of the strategy and creates knowledge and skills base in North Ayrshire.
- Training in suicide prevention: for example partnership with East and South Ayrshire and NHS Ayrshire & Arran to train STORM trainers locally. Partnership to train safeTALK trainers across Ayrshire. A coordinated, multi-agency approach is developed with central booking facilities and a pool of trainers and evaluation is produced.
- Working with third sector: for example local projects were funded to provide different services and one - off events. Disability organisation provides community - based suicideTALKS across North Ayrshire; final report was produced by external consultants Penumbra contracted to provide self - harm service with one - to - one support and awareness - raising sessions.
- Recognition that self -harm is a signifcant issue for young people: for example, Open Space event attracts 120 people and initiates dialogue about the issue.
- Target children and young people and promote good emotional literacy: for example, Choose Life and Samaritans work together to enable more schools in North Ayrshire to receive a Samaritans talk for senior pupils.
- Support to those affected by suicide: for example a Sudden Death Information card is developed and rolled out across Ayrshire. Delivery of six workshops based on CRUSE Living with Suicide pack. Work with educational pyschologists to produce an After a Suicide good practice guide for schools.
- Use drama to reduce stigma of mental health and suicide: for example, Borderline Theatre provides a series of workshops for looked - after and accommodated young people in residential care 'Inside Out' drama project linking Ayr College drama students, local agencies and schools to provide drama and discussion about mental health, stigma and recovery.
View the North Ayrshire local area profile
View the Tackling Self Harm performance story
View the Arts on Arran Performance Story
For more information about North Ayrshire’s suicide prevention activities, contact the North Ayrshire City Choose Life Co-ordinator - view the full list of Choose Life Co-ordinators' contact details.