Local action plan - North Lanarkshire
The Choose Life Coordinator post was tendered to the Scottish Association for Mental Health by North Lanarkshire Council. Work is overseen by the council and the Choose Life Implementation Group which ensures that it is appropriately coordinated and set within the wider mental health and Wellbeing framework. Key activities within North Lanarkshire have included:
- Raising awareness of suicide prevention. This has been achieved through unique methods such as working in partnership with taxi companies (Airdrie Taxis, Central Cars and United Taxis), Motherwell Football Club, 5-a-side football (www.spwfives.org) and Zumba, as well as bus, rail and washroom advertising.
- North Lanarkshire Council has evaluated the impact of this awareness raising in partnership with Leeds Metropolitan University and Centre for Men's Health. It highlights the positive impacts of innovative advertising on reaching the wider community with suicide prevention messages.
- Training staff in North Lanarkshire Council social work and housing, Strathclyde Police, Scottish Ambulance Service, Fire Service, NHS Lanarkshire, education - teachers, lecturers, students and pupils. Crucially North Lanarkshire Council has looked at training key community people such as taxi drivers and staff in restaurants, as suicide is a community issue
- Protocol for suicide prevention in mental health and self harm
- Suicide prevention week annual five - a - side tournament
- International recognition for the innovative advertising and partnership working at the European Symposium on Suicide and Suicidal Behaviour 13 (ESSSB13) in Rome
- Presentation on sport and suicide prevention to the Westminister all - party group on suicide prevention
- In collaboration with South Lanarkshire and NHS Lanarkshire. North Lanarkshire's Choose Life Coordinator created online training for self - harm which is freely accessible for all
- Promotion of mindSET, an online training in mental health which was launched in 2010.
View the North Lanarkshire local area profile
For more information about North Lanarkshire’s suicide prevention activities, contact the North Lanarkshire Choose Life Co-ordinator - view the full list of Choose Life Co-ordinators' contact details.
View the North Lanarkshire Local Action plan