Local action plan - South Ayrshire
Since 2006 South Ayrshire has had a full time Choose Life Development Officer Margo Taylor. From December 2016, Margo has shared the role with Fiona Longmuir. Both Margo & Fiona are based with the South Ayrshire Primary Care Mental Health Team at Ailsa Hospital, Ayr.
Most recently, in 2017/2018, work areas have included:
• Continuing to provide safeTALK, STORM and ASIST training sessions across Ayrshire
• Providing bespoke training/awareness sessions on self harm, suicide and general mental health as required
• Providing twilight self harm & suicide awareness sessions & support for Education Staff as required
• Providing bespoke suicide awareness sessions to Scottish Fire and Rescue Service
• A project with Breathing Space – including conversation cafe events in the community and on local trains
• Work with SeeMe including establishing links with the newly appointed Community Champion for South Ayrshire and looking at joint initiatives
• Outreach work in rural areas in partnership with the ‘CHIP’ van staff supporting the farming community following a request via Public Health
• Delivery/development of a suicide themed drama project, called ‘Reading Between the Lines’ in partnership with community safety & UWS drama students targeting 3rd year Secondary School pupils
• Annual suicide prevention week campaigns. Repeat of campaigns around the festive period and Mental Health Awareness Week
• Support & promotion of local agencies including ‘Touched by Suicide Scotland’
• Quarterly emails to networks with resources and useful information
• Support/resources/signposting for those touched by or supporters of those touched by suicide and self harm
• Support/promotion of local adverse childhood events work
• Continuing to raise awareness by attending and/or having information stalls at all possible events, including events for; College fresher’s fare’s, mental health, community safety week, Older people, Dementia, self management and Men’s health.
View the Touched by Suicide performance story
For more information about South Ayrshire’s suicide prevention activities, contact the South Ayrshire Choose Life Co-ordinators - view the full list of Choose Life Co-ordinators' contact details.