Local action plan - South Lanarkshire
The Mental Health and Wellbeing Development Officer for South Lanarkshire Council has responsibility for coordinating suicide prevention activities in the area. This ensures that all developments in mental health and wellbeing take consideration of both suicide prevention and the reduction of self-harming behaviours.
Each year the suicide prevention steering group allocates funding to pilot new ideas or to encourage service responses that are known to be effective in the promotion of wellbeing. Examples include:
- Supporting the Scottish Mental Health Arts and film Festival – in 2015 a play being written by one of our partners is being commissioned.
- Annual golf tournament which raises money to support exercise outdoors for people with a severe and enduring mental health diagnosis. In 2015 two service users are involved in planning another golf event which is supported by access to golf lessons.
- Supporting activities with women offenders to experience positive participation in a range of activities.
- Up cycling of clothing and subsequent fashion show, targeting people with lived experience of poor mental health. A linked development with people in a supported housing project has also focused on up cycling furniture as part of their self nurturing activities.
- Supporting the development of opportunities to use arts and cultural activities to promote wellbeing and aid recovery from mental ill health.
- All council and NHS employees as well as residents of South Lanarkshire are given access to suicide prevention training (organised and supported by the Corporate Training Section). A new training course Responding to Deliberate Self Harm is now available. As part of the promotion of suicide prevention training to the public one of our trainers has been delivering safeTALK courses in the rural area in pub function suits in the evening
- A range of promotional materials have been created to help improve the spread of key messages around suicide prevention and self - harm reduction.
View the Move the Goal Post performance story
View the Wellbeing Golf Tournament performance story
For more information about South Lanarkshire’s suicide prevention activities, contact the South Lanarkshire Choose Life Co-ordinator - view the full list of Choose Life Co-ordinators' contact details.